Saturday, April 11, 2009

Egg Yolk Mashed with Bananas

Yes, you read that correctly. Drew had egg yolks mixed with bananas, and he likes it! I wanted to try egg yolks but wasn't sure what to mix it with. My book has a recipe mixing it with avocado and yogurt, but Drew can't have avocados right now and all I have is vanilla yogurt. Wholesomebabyfood.com has a list of items to mix eggs with, which is where I got the idea for bananas. Both my book and wholesomebaby food say it is OK to introduce egg yolks at 8 months, but to hold off with egg whites until one year of age. I used 2 1/2 hard boiled egg yolks and 1/2 a banana and mashed them together. I don't believe you should freeze this; it has a shelf life of 1 to 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To hard boil the eggs, put them in a pot of water (leaving one inch of water over the eggs) over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once it begins to boil, remove them from the heat, cover the pot and let sit for about 14 minutes. If the egg yolks are grey, they are over cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment