Sunday, March 15, 2009

Turkey with Pear Puree

So I decided to start Drew on some meat this past week and turkey is said to be easy digest. Not to mention we had turkey spaghetti and just decided to save half the cook turkey for Drew to make it easy on us. I went ahead and followed the directions for cooking the turkey that are in my cooking for baby book. It states:

Combine 1/2 pound of ground turkey and 1 cup of water and cook over medium heat in a non-stick frying pan. Stir it constantly and break up the turkey as it is cooking. Heat until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink (about 3-5 minutes). Let it cool and drain the meat, saving the liquid. Transfer the turkey to your food processor and puree for a minute. With the machine running, add the reserved cooking fluid a little at a time until the texture is paste like. This can be stored for 1-2 days in the fridge or be frozen for up to 1 month.

The turkey looks and smells strange by itself. The book suggest that blending meat purees with fruit will make the easier on the taste buds. Personally, I'd have to disagree but I thought for Drew it would be better than the turkey by itself. The book states that pears go well with turkey.

The results: I was very worried that Drew would not eat this. My babysitter actually fed this to him for 3 days and said at first he had a funny look on his face, but she thinks it was more from the texture than the flavor. She said after the first few bites, he loved it. I took Drew this weekend to a restaurant and wanted to see for myself, so I pulled out the turkey and pears, mixed the two together, and he was not having it. It could be because we were in a restaurant and he was distracted and/or tired, or maybe he was tired of having turkey for so many days in a row. The good thing is he has eaten it in the past with no issues and no allergic reactions.


Note: Drew was 7 months and 3 weeks old for his first meat

Barnes, Lisa. Cooking for Baby. Gold Street Press, page 35.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering when to start meat. Great idea with mixing the fruit! I'm really enjoying your blog - keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I have wondered how the meat thing will go. Glad to hear he seems to like it!

    ReplyDelete