Sunday, May 31, 2009

Turkey Meatloaf- Trial and Error




Well, it seems both Sabrina and I now have independent eaters. I completely agree in that it is hard to find ways to incorporate the necessary nutrients when you have to make it in a form that they can pick up with their little fingers!

I scoured my favorite websites and books, and decided to try wholesomebabyfood.com's recipe for Apple Turkey Meatloaf. Olivia has loved sauteed ground turkey so I thought this wasn't a far stretch. 

Apple Turkey Loaf/Sticks 

 

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1 whole egg or 2 egg yolks, beaten 
1/2 cup pureed carrots
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup unprocessed natural wheat or oat bran
(I used baby oatmeal)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
pinch of basil
(I didn't use*)
pinch of garlic powder
(I didn't use*)


*but maybe should have, since it was so bland

 

Directions:

Place ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. 
Add the egg/yolk, carrots, applesauce, spices, bread crumbs and bran.
Mix well - If this mixture appears too dry, add more carrots or applesauce. If this mixture appears too wet, add more bran and/or bread crumbs

Place mix into a lightly oiled (olive oil) loaf pan and bake at 350F for approx. 45 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. **You may wish to cover with foil to prevent the top from burning

When finished baking and cooled, remove loaf from pan and slice as you would for bread. Break into small bits for finger feeding or Mash or chop gently

This recipe may also be made into "Turkey Sticks" for Toddlers and older babies who are able to handle more textured/chunky finger foods.

 

Ok, first things first, I do not recommend adding any more veggies or fruit even if it does seem dry, because then it is too moist. I ended up dumping out about a 1/2 cup of water halfway through the baking. And even then, it was still really squishy and thus not great for little fingers. 


I tried feeding it to her on a fork and letting her eat it herself. Every bite came right back out with a shake of the head. (Shaking 'no' is her new thing!) So then I tried adding cheese to it, as that usually gets her to eat just about anything. She didn't buy it. So I'm all sad since I made this big meatloaf and no one is going to eat it. Yes, I tried it, and it is really bland..... so I'm not eating it either!


I cut it up and froze it, and thought we would try again another time.


So I reproached it today at lunch. I made her some macaroni noodles and shredded cheese, and mushed up some of the meatloaf into it. She bought it! She ate quite a good helping and didn't spit any out! 


Needless to say, it was an experiment and I will keep trying different ways to hide it from her!



 

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try this. Drew likes garlic and basil; so I'll have to add it to the mix and see how it goes. So far my great eater is turning into a picky eater so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't replace bran with oats. Insoluble fiber (bran) will stand up to baking, soluble (oats) won't.

    ReplyDelete